+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HobbyWing Extreme Stock + Voltage Booster for 1S LiPo?

RaceChat Supporter JimboJames1972 has a level 1 reputation JimboJames1972's Avatar

HobbyWing Extreme Stock + Voltage Booster for 1S LiPo?

Hi all,

I currently own a HobbyWing Extreme Stock and want to run it in my pan car on 1S LiPo. This is purely becasue the Nosram Matrix I currently run (with a voltage booster) does not have the turbo function and, while I have a HobbyWing 1S speedo on my wish list, I would like to try to make do with what I already own.

On the bench I got it all wired in (with the voltage booster) but no joy to begin with. I disconnected the speedo red wire from the reciever and then tried various combinations of the speedo / booster switches on and off. With the red wire out of the reciever and both booster and speedo switched to 'on' it seemed to work - I was able to bind my Spektrum handset with the reciever, was able to set neutral, full throttle and full brake on the speedo and gave it a quick rev up to see what happened. It seemed ok.

It revved very slow though. I tried to connect the set-up box (this meant re-connecting the red wire to the speedo plug etc) and modify some of the settings. The box connected ok but the screen was extremely dim - I had to tip the screen and turn the house lights off to really see what it was saying. However, I could just about read the menu and managed to re-set some of the functions. When I revved the car up again it certainly seemed to have more guts to it this time so I am assuming it worked ok.

However, I am a little reluctant to take it on the track and give it full beans, just in case I have missed something important - this is the first time I have had to mess about taking wires out etc. Have I done it right? Is it normal to need both speedo and booster turned on (with my Matrix I had to leave the speedo switched off, in fact I removed the switch entirely)? Has anyone run an Extreme Stock with a booster and how did it go regarding settings and heat etc?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

James

I'm sure someone at my club tried the same ESC with a booster and he failed also. Not sure why though.

PM on it's way

RaceChat Supporter Chris ODonoghue has a level 1 reputation Chris ODonoghue's Avatar
    have you tried setting it up with a 2S Lipo instead ?

Guest Member Gavgrafix has a level 1 reputation
    Hi

You need to put the red wire from the booser receiver lead plug and put it into the esc receiver lead (remove the red lead from the esc receiver lead and insulate as it is not needed). Now plug the modified ESC receiver lead plug into the programming box, switch on both switches and it works. I have been using this set-up for a year! You will need to plug the booster receiver lead plug with the one black lead in it into the receiver for racing as well as the modified esc lead.

Any problems ask away.

Gav

I have run this setup in 1/12 mod with no problems, in a WGT 10.5 and 1/12 10.5 running boost with no problems.

Guest Member blocky has a level 1 reputation
    Do you have a photo of this please.

Also do you have a setup for the 1s on 10.5 (12th) please.

Quote Originally Posted by blocky View Post
    Also do you have a setup for the 1s on 10.5 (12th) please.
    Look for Hobbywing in the thread titles in the 12th section

In the pic you can see the Hobbywing Xtreme Stock and RC Dynamics booster. The rx lead from the esc has the red lead removed and tiewraped out of the way. The booster rx plug has the red lead removed and inserted into the esc rx plug. Both the booster and esc plug need to be in the receiver and both units need turning on to be able to drive the model. To use the programming box the modified esc rx plug needs to be used in the programmer like normal but both switches must be turned on.
    Attached Images

RaceChat Supporter JimboJames1972 has a level 1 reputation JimboJames1972's Avatar
    Hi Gav,
    I tried it all wired up exactly as you show and it was fine. Everything seemed to work on the track - forwards (backwards) left and right, nice bright screen on the LCD box and when I changed the settings they had the desired effect on the way the car responded.

Thanks again,

James

Quote Originally Posted by Gavgrafix View Post
    In the pic you can see the Hobbywing Xtreme Stock and RC Dynamics booster.
    wired mine as above and can confirm it works a treat

do you need to put the red wire back in to use the LCD box to allow programming?

double post, see next one
    Last edited by Glenn Atterton; 22-05-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Atterton View Post

do you need to put the red wire back in to use the LCD box to allow programming?
    , just re read the thread

see post 8

To use the programming box the modified esc rx plug needs to be used in the programmer like normal but both switches must be turned on.
    Last edited by Glenn Atterton; 25-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread